One thing to have a hangover and another to have a hangover cake. That is precisely what I did on New Year’s Eve, and I wanted to share my recipe for this deliciously moist Italian hangover cake with you.
If you want a delicious hangover cake, this recipe is for you.
This cake is easy to make and perfect for taking with you when traveling for work or a holiday.
Read More: Aunt Jemima Pancake
Italian Hangover Cake Recipe
- 8-inch cake pan
- Electric mixer
- Medium bowl
- Wire rack
To make the cake:
- 4 tablespoons of room temp unsalted butter plus more for greasing
- ¾ cup flour for all purposes
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of ginger powder
- ½ tbsp of salt
- ½ a cup of powdered sugar
- 1 large egg beaten till fluffy
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ cup of plain yogurt
Prepare the topping:
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of solid rum
- 3 big bananas
- Turn the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a greased 8-inch cake pan. Put the butter in a small pan and melt it over medium heat; this will be the topping. Add the sugar to a melted pat of butter and continue cooking until a thick, syrupy sauce forms. Remove from heat and mix in the rum. Have a taste of the caramel; add more rum if you like it more robust. The first step is to pour the caramel into the bottom of the pan.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, ginger, and salt in a giant bowl and set aside. Lighten the butter by beating it for three minutes with an electric mixer in a medium bowl. Toss in some sugar and whip the mixture until it’s nice and airy, around 5 minutes. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until they are well incorporated.
- Just before the flour is completely incorporated, add half of it. Stir in the yogurt, then gradually mix the remaining flour mixture.
- Peel the bananas and cut them into 12-inch thick slices. Spread the bananas in a single layer on the bottom of the pan that has been prepared. Please put it in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Ten minutes after the cake is made in the pan, transfer it onto a wire rack to cool completely. If possible, serve it hot.
Read More: No-Bake Cheesecake